About Temple

                 There are several oldest temples in Andhra Pradesh in which exist famous goddess temples like “Kanakadurga“ at Vijayawada , ”Bhadrakali” at Warrangal etc.“ Sri Ujjaini Mahankali” temple in Telangana region at Secunderabad is 191 years old which is visited and prayers offered to the goddess by unending large number of devotees everyday in general and in particularly  thousands of devotees in Ashada jathara on principal days which falls on Sunday and Monday. There is no doubt about granting the wishes of devotees by the goddess and devotees fulfilling the vows.


               There are no historical records about the existence of this temple. This temple is a symbol of devotion of Shri Suriti Appaiah garu resident of secunderabad as Shri Rama temple at Bhadrachalam is symbol of devotee Bhakta Ramdas of those days.

              Shri Suriti Appaiah garu was working in the military in the year 1813.A.D. Shri Suriti Appaiah along with others(Army bearers) was sent to Ujjain as mason. Everyday Shri Appaiah garu  visited Mahankali goddess temple and prayed her with utmost devotion during the entire period of his stay at Ujjain.


             Shri Appaiah garu became an ardent devotee of the powerful goddess at Ujjain.On one day he has prostrated at her feet and offered prayers expressing gratitude for success of their mission to Ujjain and for showing the way for return journey, also prayed in many respects and expressed his wish that her idol will be installed at Secunderabad for offering prayers for ever. All of them returned to Secunderabad from Ujjain after the goddess felt happy and blessed Shri Appaiah garu for his selfless devotion. She also bestowed  kindness on him.

                           In the month of July 1815, Shri Appaiah garu installed a idol made of wood at the place where the present temple is existing and conducting pujas. He built the walls around the idol and constructed a small temple named “Ujjain Mahankali” temple.

                           It is said that in those olden days this place was inhabited by trees, insects, rocks and lakes. There was a big well and when repairs were being carried out by digging an idol named “Manikyalamma” was found. The same idol can be seen today in the sanctorum  of the temple towards Ujjaini Mahankali’s right side. In the year 1864 A.D Shri Appaiah garu replaced wooden idol and installed the two idols of “Mahankali” and “Mnikyalamma” as per the Hindu sastras and relevant pujas. Later,  Shri Sanjivaiah the son of Shri Surirti Appaiah  garu collected some amount in his village along with his friends got constructed the mandapam in the year 1900 A.D. Shri Laxmaiah (mesthri and representing of army bearer) son of Shri Sanjivaiah collected some amount and constructed  few shops along side the temple entrance as a source of income. In the year 1914 A.D Shri Kistaiah  son of Shri Laxmaiah formed a committee to conduct daily pujas and archanas by appointing a brahman(Shri Ogirala Subbaiah garu). Sons of Shri Kistaiah and Chikoti Chandraiah garu, prominent vysyas and their family members continued their efforts for the development of Shri Ujjaini Mahankali temple. In the year 1947 A.D the  endowment department of the then state government constituted a committee and arranged a Brahman, Shri Yendapalli Venkataramaiah for the purpose of conducting rituals to the goddess.

                           In the year 1953 A.D endowment department of the then state  government arranged board of trustees though the first founder was Shri Appaiah garu, there is a saying that family members of the army bearers also involved in the establishment of the Ujjaini Mahankali temple. The chairman, president, committee members honorary secretary etc are making necessary efforts to develop the temple further.